During her first term, U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill has successfully achieved concrete results for the state's families and businesses. From expanding job opportunities and cutting wasteful spending, to strengthening care for Missouri’s military veterans, to boosting accountability across government—click below to see highlights from Claire’s work on behalf of Missouri.
- Expanding Job Opportunities: Since taking office, Sen. McCaskill has hosted workshops to connect Missouri's small businesses with resources to compete, expand, and create more jobs, has championed bipartisan legislation to cut taxes for small business and boost jobs, and has successfully fought to prevent unreasonable regulations on job creators. Click HERE to learn more.
- Cutting Spending: Sen. McCaskill has consistently opposed bloated, omnibus spending measures and has bucked her own party to introduce legislation that would impose caps on discretionary spending. Click HERE to learn more.
- Fighting for Veterans: Sen. McCaskill, the daughter of a World War II veteran, has been a champion for military veterans and their families since joining the Senate in 2007, and was a founding member of the Senate Veterans Jobs Caucus. Click HERE to learn more.
- Ending Earmarks: Sen. McCaskill has never requested a single earmark during her time in the U.S. Senate and has led the fight to permanently ban earmarks. Click HERE to learn more.
- Fighting for Energy Security: During the debate in Congress on legislation to address climate change, Sen. McCaskill consistently stood up and protected the interests of Missouri's families, manufacturers, and energy consumers by insisting that any attempt to curb global warming include adequate protections for coal-dependent states like Missouri. Sen. McCaskill also strongly supports the construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline, to help reduce America's dependence on foreign oil. Click HERE to learn more.
- Cleaning up Washington: Sen. McCaskill has consistently fought to crack down on wasteful spending of taxpayer dollars and strengthen accountability and transparency in government by leading the fight to end automatic congressional pay raises, and opening up her subcommittee's markup of the National Defense Authorization Act to the public. Click HERE to learn more.
- Fighting for Stronger Oversight: In early 2009, Sen. McCaskill became Chairman of the Subcommittee on Contracting Oversight, a first-of-its-kind committee intended specifically to target waste, fraud and abuse in government contracting. As Chairman of the new Subcommittee, Sen. McCaskill has led investigations into actual and potential contracting fraud in nearly every federal agency identifying billions of taxpayer dollars in savings in the process. Click HERE to learn more.
- Securing our Homeland: As a member of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, Sen. McCaskill has successfully fought to strengthen national security and protect American communities from terrorist threats. Click HERE to learn more.
- Upholding American Laws: Since arriving in the Senate, Sen. McCaskill has repeatedly challenged both the Bush and Obama Administrations to strengthen employer enforcement programs and has fought for tougher crackdowns on employers who knowingly hire undocumented workers. Click HERE to learn more.
- Strengthening National Security: As a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Sen. McCaskill has fought to bolster American security at home and abroad, and address threats facing national security. Click HERE to learn more.
- Improving Education: Sen. McCaskill attended Missouri public schools from kindergarten through college and has continually advocated on behalf of the state's teachers and students, from supporting fairness for teachers' pensions, to working with educators and parents on ways to improve No Child Left Behind. Click HERE to learn more.